Saturday, June 21, 2014

"COUNTDOWN!" ONLY 11 MORE MILES TO GO!!!! (from 6/20/2014)


(Sidney checks out kilometers to Santiago.) 

We will March into Santiago on Saturday and go listen to our Cellist friend, Dane Johansen, play at the great Cathedral in Santiago.  Izabela and I are overwhelmed with so many mixed emotions.  We laugh, cry and get weepy all over again.  It is going to be very hard to be through but at the same time, thrilling because we have completed it.  So many vivid memories.

Just for laughs, watch the next three videos.

For the first video, you must go to the following Link

( This  is officially the "Llama Hop."  Keep it in mind when you watch the next video). 


(Izabela, my energizer "Llama" on steroids.  
We were laughing about the Llama Hop when she decided to try it . . .  
With her backpack on!)


(Meanwhile, I am on so much pain, I can barely put one hurting foot in front of the other.)


"TODAY WAS ALL ABOUT MAKING THE MILES"


(Vanessa and John caught up with us AGAIN!  We had a great visit and made plans to meet Sunday on the steps of Santiago Cathedral on Sunday night.   Don't have photo, but we also ran into Jan from Germany, then Sharon and Linda from South Africa.  They all agreed to meet too). 


(We had to travel a lot in the "Black Forest" today 
with a storm threatening, which never occurred).


(Then we had to descend into the pit. 
For all the altitude we clambered up, we knew we had to come down that same amount. 
Such was the "see a day and we didn't get to our room until 7:00 pm). 


(The graffiti can move us to tears.  This one really catches the heart and soul of the Camino). 


("El Dolor es auto temporalLa Gloria es para siempre!)

My friends Marco and Regi need to translate this.  But loosely, it means:  Sadness is only temporary, but, Joy (or Glory) is forever!!

I want to revisit my precious Texas A & M Group. They impress me at so many levels. I call this small story:  

"WHEN COMPASSION COLLIDES WITH LOVE"

I told you a little about their interaction with Deideia.  This next piece is best told with photos.  My new, wonderful friend, Alexa Gordon is a professional journalist in Australia.  She graciously agreed to let me share these photos with you. Alexa masterfully captured the human spirit in her work.  But, let me get right to the story. 

These young people have totally won my heart.  I will put my faith and money on them any day, their hearts are so big,  they have a "can do" spirit and their attitude is "IT SHALL BE DONE!!

Deideia came to a stand still.  He could not push his own chair over the rocks.  The Texans were deciding how to help him.


(David [off screen], Cameran , and Scott make a plan and decide 
how to get Deideia over the rocks.  Maria looks on as Alexa takes the photos). 


(Chelsea leads the way as the girls took on the task of carrying the guy's backpacks. 
That meant they were carrying over 44 pounds each!)


(Scott holds Deideia in place [there is no back on his special chair]
while Cameran attaches the rope system). 


(David and Cameran pull the ropes while Scott holds onto Deideia and pushes). 


(Ultimately, the Texans had to lift the chair with Deideia in it 
 over the rocks to the top of the hill). 

This gives me such pride and hope in our younger generation 

I feel privileged to know these exceptional young people. 


Until next time, with love, 

Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment