Sunday, June 22, 2014

"ON THE WAY TO SANTIAGO" (from 6/21/2014)

We are on the "countdown" now.
(The last morning)


Izabela leading the way.  We hadn't yet reached the woods, so we were brave.

(The dark woods)

This is the 16.9 kilometer marker. Still feeling strong. 

(16.9 km to go)

Light began to appear through the trees, and we didn't feel so alone.  

(The light on the path)

The sunrise was worth waiting for. 

(God's gracious gift)

(The way of Saint James)

The graffiti got more philosophical. 


(El Camino graffiti)


Izabela and I are in Santiago!  We can see the awesome cathedral in the distance, but it is still far away.  And I know I can't make it without nourishment. 

(Almost, but not quite.)

Had a doughnut and a coca cola.  We are quite emotional!  We are in Santiago de Compostela!!! We have walked the 500 miles!!!  We are overwhelmed!  Now we must walk the final steps to get our
Compostela.  The feelings are so strong, and they are all trying to tumble out at the same time. 

(A welcome snack)

The walk to the Cathedral was long . . .  And we were tired from the 4:30 am wake-up.  But
WE MADE IT!!!  We cried, laughed, were introspective, felt joy and sorrow.  The feelings really were too big to hold them.  Tears continue to flow even as I write this.  It seems we started this journey so long ago and in a far away place.   Here, I asked Izabela how she felt . . . 

(Izabela at the end of the journey)

Then, I tried to express my feelings, but the enormity of them overpowered me.  I still haven't sorted them all out yet.  

(Sidney at the end of the journey)

Izabela and I had a little victory celebration and then had to go to the Pilgrim's Office to apply
for our Compostela (the certificate showing we had finished). 

(Celebrate!)

Izabela and I had to find the Pilgrim's Office ( more walking on poor, busted feet).  Many of our Camino friends were in the line, too.  We often marveled at how the timing kept bringing us into each other's space all along the Camino. 

(Camino friends)

Juan asked us all the questions, examined our Camino Passports, and he issued the regular Compostela and the one that showed how far we walked.  I didn't want one inch taken off. 


(It's official!)

With Compostela in hand we went in search of our hotel.  Wayne insisted on putting us up in one where we could be a little more comfortable.

That is when we ran into our Texas boys again.  And guess what they had found?!  That's right,
Burger King.  My mouth watered for one. 


So Izabela and I reached our final destination.  I couldn't have had a  better partner.  We learned so much from this experience and want to share more later.  I still have a piece to write about the Cruz Ferro . . .  For now, we just wanted to let you know that we are here!!!  It was one heck of a ride. Your prayers and encouragement lifted us up and carried us across the Finish Line.   Please let us hear from you now.  You can contact me direct on email sid4wayne@gmail.com and contact Izabela on izabela.jaworska@yahoo.com.

Until next time, with love, 

Sidney/Mom/Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment