Thursday, June 12, 2014

THE MARKERS FOR "THE WAY" (from 6/12/2014)

I want to share one of the lesser known stories about the Camino that makes a significant difference. "The Way," the El Camino Trail is marked by yellow arrows that might be on the road, a building, the side of a house, a curb . . .   Just a plethora  of places!  This is how we Pilgrims "find our way."  Because some yellow arrows are hidden behind growth, or faded or small, it is easy to get lost. And let me tell you, you don't want to get lost on foot and have to backtrack.  But the arrows are something you learn to count on and can usually find.



(Don Elias Valina Sanpedro invented "the Way" Markers. 


Sanpedro was a Parish Priest dedicated to restoring and preserving the integrity of the El Camino Route.  In fact, he is the one who came up with the idea to mark the route with YELLOW ARROWS.  I can't over stress  the importance of this simple but profoundly helpful idea.  And ALL Pilgrims are grateful for that.

One sees them in all kinds of places.  These markers help keep us on course.  Without the yellow arrows, we would surely get lost.


(Markers - some markers can send opposing direction and be confusing)


(Markers - some can appear in unexpected places)


(Markers - some markers can be faded, dim, jaded)


(Markers - Some markers can be bold and demanding...with no mistaking the intent)


(Markers - Some can be neat and inviting)


(Markers - Some  can hold a mystery that begs the question "why?"

So I look at these Camino markers (and they are everywhere) as a great metaphor for life. We have many markers in our lives . . .   Getting our education; preparing for a career or discovering our passion; searching for our true love; having children: some markers are positive, some are tragic . . . The loss of a loved one; divorce; having children; loss of a job; growing older and wiser; and so many others.

As a Pilgrim, we have to be alert to find the arrows before we go too far down the path.  It is more difficult to walk BACK than it is to take a small amount of time necessary to make sure we are following the correct marker.

I have a personal philosophy that to be wholly who I am or supposed to be, I must "follow my star."  I must find that "thing" that makes me whole and it is what I was created for.   Then I must commit myself to it and follow it with my whole heart.  I must follow it without allowing other interruptions to entice me off course.

So, just consider your "markers," and follow the star that is true to your heart.   Those yellow arrows can lead you to some pretty exciting places.

Until next time, with love,

Sidney/Mom/Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment