Monday, June 9, 2014

THOSE NASTY GNATS (from 6/4/14)

The Mesita is a many faceted thing.  There is the beauty of the waves of young wheat.


(An ocean of wheat) 

And we came upon a field that had a river of Poppies interlaced with purple flowers  cutting its course through the wheat.


(A river of flowers runs through it) 

There are the golden fields of more mature wheat.


(Different color patches on the Mesita) 

Though many people call it barren and dull, I found it to be refreshing and soothing.  That's the good part.  Then there are the swarms of gnats.  They follow us down the trail trying to get in our nose and ears.  I contemplated what to do to outsmart the brain of a tiny gnat.  That isn't easy.  I remembered that as a child, I saw my mother put strings of cotton on our screen door to keep the flies out of our house.  So, I found enough napkins in my many pockets, ripped them into strips and hung them from my hat rim so they fluttered in the breeze. It was an effective gnat deterrent.


(White napkins flapping in the breeze scare the pesky gnats away)  

The fashion MAY catch on.


 (Styling on the Camino)

Many Pilgrims took my photo.  I think they were envious.  No??

No comments:

Post a Comment