Wednesday, June 18, 2014

TODAY (from 6/17/2014)

I must briefly tell you about today. I know all of you are praying for me and Wayne has done the same, because today was so foreboding.



(Elevation of our climb and descent for today.)


With my sore, blistered feet and bum knee, this was a wee bit threatening.  All of you know, I strongly believe God answers prayers.  So did my prayers get answered?

Yesterday, we saw a man washing his feet in a park at a fountain and called out a happy greeting to him.  While in the Farmacia, trying to make the lady understand what we needed -band aids, foot Vaseline, leg and feet massage lotion, etc., that same Pilgrim came up behind us and asked if we wanted him to help us with interpretation . . .  And he told the pharmacist exactly what we needed and she had it all for us.




(All the"stuff" I needed to keep my feet and legs going.) 


I badly needed all these things because neither my feet or legs have had the recuperation time before we punish them again with another 15 miles.
 
Today, to start, the day, it was not sweltering hot, as usual . . . it was cool and foggy. 



(Izabela and I leave Sarria, and head into the cool fog.) 


I remembered to tie my shoes correctly so my toes wouldn't touch the end of my boots.



(Wrapping the lace around twice at two places then crossing over, secures the foot in place). 


At mid day, I took the time to massage my feet with the massage cream for muscles . . .
And, for no apparent reason, my energy was strong and steady all day today.

Also, I continue to heed the words of my friends Sabina, Jeff and Andy- "you first win or lose in your mind."  So I kept telling myself, "No matter what, I will make it today."  (Izabela is so strong, she does not have these struggles).

GUESS WHAT?   I MADE IT!!  I am not suffering tonight any where near the way I was last night and it was a really tough day.

God is good. He answers prayers and miracles still happen. 

So, let me just share a little about today...



(Ascent so steep, cyclists had to dismount and push.) 


Sarria is the last point a Pilgrim can"start" and still receive a certificate when they reach Santiago.



(Here a whole class of high school students join us on the Trail.) 




(Izabela and I enjoy the beauty in a Spanish country home. Of course, 
the constant smell of cow patties can bring water to your eyes.)




(Jan, pronounced, Yan, answers "The" question.)

Jan is considering a change in direction for his life and he felt the Camino would help him find that answer within himself.  Jan found the piece of wood for his staff.  Then he has spent 3 days so far carving the top of the staff. He is not finished, but it is obvious he is a very talented carver.




(Izabela and I had a lovely picnic in the shade.)


We had bought ham, cheese, bread and tomato to make a sandwich, with M & M peanuts for dessert. Yum! Yum!



(Many shrines can be found along the Camino and we always stop to show our respect.)




(This one looks like someone had to rig up a splint and it now hangs in a tree.  No one bothers these memorials. There is a quiet sadness and sacredness about them.)




("Do you wanna dance?"   Would you believe it?? Alfred, a Brazilian, was showing Izabela how to Samba on the Camino Trail. Then he figured out she knew a thing or two.)




(An exhausted Pilgrim grabs his chance to take a nap.)




(First Lake we've seen in Spain.  It was a really welcome sight.)


We came off the Trail and neither of us felt too bad, though we were "spent."  And just when we thought we were home free, there was another "mountain."



(If I ever find the guy who put these stairs here, I will punch his lights out!). 


We finally found the center of town and the square where our Pension with a delicious bath and bed waited for us.  O the sweet pleasures of life!



(The Medieval Church dominates the square and is a magnificent landmark.)

Until next time, with love,


Sidney/Mom/Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment