Monday, June 2, 2014

What Do You Do When You Hit the Wall? (from 6-1-14)

I have a precious friend named Justin. He is a wonderful young man and has been following  our updates on the Camino. Justin asked me if I had "hit my wall" yet? And when I did, what would I do?  Those are serious questions Justin and I didn't know how to answer them before today.  This was my hardest day so far.  Our task today was to walk 18 miles (more than usual). Because of the horrendous hill we had to climb and descend first thing this morning, it is recommended that Pilgrims stop just before the hill and spend the night so the ascent can be made when one is fresh and rested. 


(The elevation of the walk for June 1st).  

Izabela and I stayed in Castrojeriz so we could be ready for the climb while we were strong. Izabela did it like the Champ that she is. I, however, barely made it, but every part of me was tired and hurting. As a result, the first thing this morning my energy was depleted.... And we still had 16 miles to go!  So, I did what I had to and that is "do what is required."  There certainly was no fancy car to take us the rest if the way.

(Video of Izabela walking over the edge).

It was beautiful to turn and look where we had come from and on the other side we could see where we would be going to.


(Looking back to see where we had come from). 


(Looking forward to where we were going).

We walked on to Itero and on the way came to a picnic area. Three men were there with all kinds of fruit, bread, and cold drinks. It was like a parched man in the desert coming to an oasis. They were "Friends of the Camino."  They did not charge but only took donations. I cannot describe how that lifted my heart. It was something they did not have to do.


("Friends of the Camino" offering a jolt of energy and kindness)

As the day wore on, my feet began to hurt until finally the pain was almost unbearable. We stopped in the last village before Fromista to eat. We had heard about this little (literally) old Japanese couple walking the Camino. (Stories spread along the trail almost as fast as wifi.) She is 79 and he is 85.


(Ancient Japanese Couple on El Camino). 

Well, in they walked to ask directions of the Bar owner. That really inspired me to do what I had to do to keep walking.  I love God's sense of timing.

Eventually I began limping and that created pain in my knee.  For 9 1/2 hours the pain went from a 3 to a resounding 9.  I had to walk on because there were no little villages on this part of the Trail. Things went from worse to worser and then I knew. . .  I had reached my limit. This is when I had to answer the questions. Yes, I had "hit the wall."  I simply had to keep going.  And somehow you do.  I put all my concentration on just to keep moving.  My feet hurt so bad I wanted to cry but couldn't.  And I was concerned about tomorrow.

We walked alongside a river for a few miles and I tried to enjoy the melody of the frogs calling back and forth to each other. Eventually we had to cross over a narrow bridge above a thunderous spillage.


(Izabela crossing over the narrow bridge).

We finally reached our Albergue (El Camino De Santiago). The young woman was so sweet. She acted out rocking a baby to let me know she would take care of me like a baby. Now THAT did make tears well up in my eyes.  Another perfect stranger saw my pain and gave of herself to help. What a beautiful, spiritual gift in the midst of ugly pain.

Human kindness has so many faces. Please pray I can fix the situation with my boots and socks and that this pain will dissolve.

So, what DO YOU DO when you hit the wall?  I would say to Justin, "Well, just like the Japanese couple, you don't give up when the going gets hard. And you figure out WHAT YOU CAN DO, and do it. And you keep moving forward."


Trying not to limp, but knowing I must keep going.

No comments:

Post a Comment