Friday, June 20, 2014

"DEEP IN A TEXAS HEART" (from 6/19/2014)

As Of June 19, 2014, Izabela and I have walked 473.2 miles.  Only 26.8 more miles to go!!!



(With all the encouragement you have given us, we will make it in our last two days). 

"DEEP IN A TEXAS HEART"

I have to tell you about a whole group of Texas A & M students on this trip.  Izabela and I met the first one, Chris, in a restaurant during lunch one day. There are 12 young people, 2 professors and one "Tag Along" as Billy likes to think of himself. So far, I have met Chris, David, Scott, Cameran, Chelsea, Taylor, Kelly, Steve and Billy.



(We walked together for a spell.)

Their energy is so positive!  And they asked lots of questions - books I would recommend, good movies to see, and simply thoughts about life.


(It was a fascinating "walk and talk" session.)

I asked Billy, David, Scott, and Chelsea to tell me from their heart why they were doing the El Camino Pilgrimage.  Their answers touched me spiritually and gave me a chance to learn from them.



(Billy and his wife live in the South of Spain doing Missionary work. He is a Texas A & M Alumni and asked if he could "tag along with the group. The kids really "cotton" to his down home wisdom). 


(David gives such a heartfelt answer. I love the freshness with the depth. 
What a blend of the vigor of youth with a heart for God). 


(Scott shares the freshness of his thinking and wisdom for a young man his age). 


(Chelsea reaches inside to share her "why?"  This sweet young lady is an "old  Soul . . . " 
And that is a compliment). 

Like all young people they still have the soul to "play."




(They played Haversack at the bars where we eat, rest and get our passports stamped. 
Ever since the 100 kilometer mark, we have had to get our Camino passport stamped twice a day.)



(We only have a few spaces left to fill. If this isn't done correctly, 
the Pilgrim will NOT be granted their Compostela). 

These are extraordinary Pilgrims!  They are so full of life and positive energy. Hearing their precious accent was like music to my ears. I think I intrigue them a little bit because I am such an old Texan.
Their hearts are as big as Texas and I believe this is something that will forever be woven into the fabric of their life that they can draw from for the rest of their days.


They are the ones who gave us the term "Dirty Thirty" for the first 30 steps because they are so painful.




(I was experiencing the "Dirty Thirty" as Izabela taped me crossing the stream. 
 It somehow helps when we label things.  Then it doesn't hurt so bad.)


This group distinguished themselves with their love and compassion. There is a man on the Trail from France. He is in a wheelchair and doing it like a true Pilgrim (with no money). His name is Deideia  (probably spelled wrong but is pronounced like Dee-Dee-A).  Deideia has a degenerative disease and has played in the Para-Olympics. He has an unusual spirit. With all the rocks and really tough paths, he patiently waits until someone helps him. Often the bars give him food or other people do and he either sleeps in his sleeping bag or occasionally he is given a bed.







(Helping to get Deideia into the bar so he could eat.) 

Chelsea shared with us that Deideia had lost his cell phone and it had all the photos of his El Camino on it.  This discouraged him so badly, Deideia considered quitting and he was down at the mouth."  Usually, they greeted each other with, "AH SANTIAGO!!!"  But Deideia didn't feel like doing it today.  Chelsea stayed with him and insisted they were going to Santiago together.  And she insisted that he yell from his heart as usual, "AH SANTIAGO!!"  He finally got a semi good one out.  Then when Chelsea got to the bottom of the stairs, Deideia yelled "AH SANTIAGO!!!" out with his whole heart.  He is back on the Trail again.



So all these kids have enlivened the Camino and given love and compassion along the way.  Their VERY LATEST is from Chelsea and Scott.  When we needed the encouragement they sent us this
Photo.




(Along with this message - "Sidney and Izabela.This might not be the most encouraging message you receive, but we hope it makes you smile!!!  You two are strong and we believe in you both!! ")

Now how could you NOT go into hysterical laughter with that?  Aren't they the cutest things?  You gotta love 'em.  My feet stopped hurting with all that love and  laughter). 

Before we shut down for the night, let me also share our experience with Kristina Stramler.

Izabela and I were taking various photos at a huge bronze statue of an early Pilgrim.




(Pilgrim defies the elements to continue on his way.)

I noticed this sweet little lady looking at the statue but not taking any photos.  I asked her if she would like for me to take her photo with her camera.  She said, "No.  My charger got stolen and I'm having to be very selective of the photos I take."  I then asked if she had an email.  I would take some photos and send them to her.  Which we did.   Then I asked Kristina to tell me what happened.  Someone, not another pilgrim, stole her entire backpack with everything in it.  She said she sat down and thought about it.  Whether she should just go home.  And she decided, "They stole my backpack, but I'm not going to let them steal my 'Camino' as well."  So Kristina went out, bought herself another backpack, and she continued on her pilgrimage.




(Kristine is also a brave Pilgrim.)

Listen to her answer as to why she is doing this.




(Kristina May be tiny, but she has the courageous heart of a lion). 

Another reason to tell Kristina's story is because she too knows the fabulous Texas A & M guys.  It is one of the interesting things about the Camino.  Although there are several thousands of people on this trail, we often reconnect on the trail.




(Kristina knows our young people. Her husband was from Texas 
so she has lived there for some time but she now lives in Arizona). 

The biggest thrill has been the wonderful interactions with so many truly great people who are on their personal journey in the El Camino Trail.

Until next time, with love,

Sidney/Mom/Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment