Monday, June 30, 2014

"THE DEEP RICHNESS OF HISTORY AND THE SIMPLICITY OF NOW" (from June 28, 2014)

While walking around Santiago, Izabela ran into one of our trail buddies who very excitedly showed us her Compostela from the San Francisco Monastery.  The Monk, Saint Francis, walked the El Camino Trail 800 years ago and to commemorate that, the Monastery issues a Compostela (certificate of recognition and proof that the walk was done) every 100 years and this was the year. 




(San Francisco Monastery is not too far from the Cathedral 
 and silently invites the Pilgrims, "Come In.")

Izabela and I sought the Monastery out and went inside this sacred space to investigate.  The beauty and grandeur within takes your breath away.  What looks ordinary on the outside, is actually the holder of great history and spiritual beauty.  The Door opens to a surprising display of art and, sculpture and architecture that lifts us to a high place.

.





We entered a small door off the right of the main alter.  There sat two monks in a dim lighted area quietly waiting to honor our 500 Mile Walk.One was younger and wore a wool shawl against the dank cold, the other was older and complained that the Peregrinos were not donating enough for receiving their Compostela.  Still, there was a quiet air of dignity;  Izabela and I approached with our filled out passports to receive this special certificate.





To receive something that is only issued every 100 years was an honor.  Izabela wanted to be sure of the correct spelling of her name and I wanted to have both my family name (Randolph) and married name (Bonvallet) on this Compostela.  It is hard to explain this deep feeling connected with 800 years of history.

Walking along the El Camino, we were aware that we were actually following in the footsteps of the Apostle James.  That is heavy and awesome stuff.  Millions of pilgrims have walked on that path, over those same rocks . . .   We were part of that history now.





(Compostela issued every 100 years.)

With our certificates in hand, Izabela and I made our way back to the Cathedral for a meeting with a few of our friends that had gotten in the same day as we did.  We planned a farewell dinner and celebration of our completion.






L to R John Goble, Vanessa Johnston, Sidney, Izabela, Alexa, Maria, not shown:  Joan and Mary.

It was a glorious reunion . . .  We had all accomplished our 500 Mile Goal.  Happy as it was, there was the sweet sorrow of saying "goodbye."  But we decided to live "in the moment," and all responded to the question, "What had we gained . . .  What had we learned for ourselves . . .  What would we take home with us."  The answers were thoughtful and heartfelt.  Below is a brief summary of our responses:

John: To bring home the joyful anticipation of seeing something beautiful afar off (like the mountains) and knowing that by continuing on his path he would reach them.  So he wants that joy, without judgement.

Vanessa: To simplify my life and to accept who I really am . . .  and to live that truth.  To be in the present and not have expectations so I can enjoy "what is."

Sidney: To express my appreciation for the loyal and enduring love I receive from Wayne.  To simplify my surroundings to unclutter my mind.  Serve in our Villages with the sure knowledge we are doing what God has assigned us to do.  And to continue this closer intimacy with God.

Izabela: To say "yes," then figure out "how."  I don't have to do everything FAST . . .  Slow it down and adjust my tempo.  I will still get to the finish.  Letting go of control and trusting myself.

Alexa: To reclaim my power and grow the  confidence I've gained by walking the Camino.  Stand my ground and be strong for myself.

Maria: To have self love and also to allow the confidence I've gained to grow.  Have an appreciation for the people I meet.

Joan (not shown) To plant a garden.  All the gardens we saw spoke of a simple life of beauty.  Live more simply knowing I don't need so much.  I want to live in gratitude for what I have.

Mary (not shown) To be more open to relationships.  Consider letting a man in my life.  No rush... just consider it.  Also to be more open to my family.

SIMPLICITY WAS THE WINNER IN EVERYONE'S HEART.  The Camino taught us we carry too much "stuff," think we need so much more than we really do.  Living more simply is liberating and frees up energy for the more important things in life.

Until next time, with love,  

Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment